Sunday, May 07, 2006

The MR25 20km Progressive Run

I had just 2 relatively short runs this week, and I was looking forward to this 20km run organized by the MR25, in preparation of its runners for the year end Standard Chartered Marathon. I recalled having done this 20km progressive run last year, had to walk a bit on some of the slopes at the Golf Course, and returned with a reasonable time of 1hr58min. I am just looking to do a sub-2hr run this time, and better my 2005 timing.

I watched the elections results till 2am before waking up at 5:45am for the run. I felt ok as I downed a bowl of cereal and a banana to provide fuel for this would-be hard run. DO, Ultraman, Alvo, Bug and myself were at the starting line in MacRitchie lower carpark toilets by 6:45am. Registered for the race and got my bib no. 38...hmm nice no. The weather was cool, after some rains in the night. Some of the expected runners like Lai Chee, Brokie, bbmon, TLR did not turn up as they had prior appointments. Gentle arrived about 5min to race start. Zhiwei, a new SgRunner joined us for this run too. Saw the usual MR25 runners all raring to start. In a rush, I forgot to bring my watch and was quite apprehensive about not being able to track my timing. I decided then to track familiar runners for a sense of the pace. At the whistle, all the runners headed in the direction of the Northern Route. The pace was ok initially as there were some blockages by walkers. Once into the trails, the pace picked up and a large group ran forward. I was keeping a steady pace, not too fast, but I could still feel that it was quite hard. After getting warmed up, I increased pace a little, and soon saw DO, Ultra in front. As we exited from the Northern Route, we had taken 19min...wow, that was fast...normally I would come out from there in 22min...haha.

Down and then up the 2 steep slopes fringing the SICC Golf Course. Had a cup of water at the first water point. I decided to leave my fuel belt behind for this run as the weather was good. I overtook more runners on the upslopes as I chugged up steadily. Saw Zhiwei taking a break by the side because of stitches. By the time I turned into the Golf Course path leading to Upper Pierce Reservoir (UPR), I could see DO, Ultra, Bug all in front. I continued at a steady pace and as I ran towards air-cond road, I overtook Ang Lai Soon (this is an amazing 55-year old guy who can run a mean pace) and then DO. I could see the front runners on the return from touching the gates at PUB Pumphouse. I ran on, encouraging the fast runners as well...haha. Soon reaced the run, and saw Ultra turning. I turned after a short while, and could see DO just close behind. I picked up pace a little on this return, and along the way saw Alvo and Zhiwei running together, and later on saw Gentle coming into air-cond road as well. We exchanged some words of encouragement and pushed on. I was feeling good as I turned left towards the slopes up to the Main Gate to OUTR.

Conquered 3 more slopes along UPR, and could see the very fast front runners zooming past on their return. Many of them were young runners, and really had the power to drive home a pace that I can only dream about. Reached the mid-point at Main Gate, took a short break and drank 2 cups of water before moving on. A fellow runner told me it was 49min. Wow.. was that a fast pace for me or what? That was a marked improvement over what I did a year ago, and I was still feeling strong. I picked up pace again to clear the few slopes on the return of UPR. I could see Ultra about 100m in front, and I just told myself to follow him...hehe. Ran back past the Golf Course, and as we hit back to the steep slopes, I slowed down a little to regulate my breathing. There were some golfers on the course, and I was pretty wary of them tee-ing off. I remembered I was feeling very tired at that point last year. I felt much better this time despite the faster pace, and I overtook 2 more runners on the slopes. The MF trainings I have had was really helping me to take those slopes with relative ease. As I finished the final upslope, I saw Sotong and Cokiee who were doing their 15km LSD in the area. They shouted words of encouragement, and then I heard DO, who was just behind me...waah...

I had 2 more cups of water at this water point, walked as I drank, and the pushed off to join DO ahead. I ran ahead into Sime Trail, then saw a MR25 official directing us to do a mini-diversion round the land-slide area. I could not see any other runners in front at that point, and I knew that DO was just behind me. Sime Trail was rocky and a bit dangerous, and I nearly twisted my ankle twice today. I maintained a steady pace as I continued past Jelutong Tower, and then along the wooden bridges. When i finally reached the Golf Course area again, I could see Ultraman about 200m in front. He turned and saw me too, and seemed like he picked up pace again...hehe. Ultra really looked strong and steady today. He has really improved by leaps and bounds this year...good to stay close to him..hehe. When we ran to the 'tree roots' I took the opportunity to recuperate by walking through the many humps and bumps. Once the mini hurdles were over, it was just a straight trail run from the exercise area. I took a final cup of water, increased my pace, and gave a final 3km push. I overtook 2 or 3 more runners along this stretch, especially up the 2 steeper slopes. As I turned into Lornie Trail, I could see Ultraman again, still 100m in front. I didn't look back, but I knew DO was about 100m behind me as well. Finally hit the pavement and the zig-zag bridge, and a young runner ran up and told me to push for the last 1km...I picked up speed and made a dash for it. As I was dashing, I heard someone cheering for me...heh, it was Thiam Huat, MF Chairman... thanks cm...I sprinted the final 50m to finish feeling good. Offcial time recorded for me was 1hr43min20sec...wow, how come its so fast? I checked again, and saw that Ultraman did 1hr42min...hmm, then must be correct lah. DO came back shortly in 1hr44min. Meteor was at the finish after doing her 15km, and together we cheered for Alvo who did 1hr55min. Sumiko also came in about that time. Bug had lost his way, and finished much earlier....never mind, he did enjoy the run. He wants to do it again real soon. We congratulated one another for a nice run, cheered for Zhiwei, Sumiko, etc as they came in, and chatted about preparations for AHM. I had a good enjoyable run today, and have improved my timing by 15min... partly because of the nice weather, and partly because I was much stronger this time around. I look forward to the 25km Progressive Run next, in preparations for AHM in August.

Distance Ran: 20km XC ____Time:1hr43min_____Pace:5:10min/km
Average HR:N/A____Max HR:N/A____KCal:1,600KCal est.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home