Sunday, April 16, 2006

Training LSD @ Mt. Faber

My scheduled LSD run this Sunday morning had me running at Mt. Faber with the SAFRA folks. The planned route was [Clubhouse -> Depot Rd -> Alexandra Rd -> Queensway -> Portsdown -> Dover Rd -> Clementi Rd -> Ulu Pandan Canal -> Queenstown -> IKEA -> Alexandra Rd -> Telok Blangah Way -> Harbourfront -> Kampung Bahru -> Mount Faber Hill (1 rd) -> Morse Rd -> Henderson Rd -> Clubhouse]. I was at the ClubHouse by 7am, and met up with quite a large group. We had Karen and Johnny join in the run this morning. Adam and Alan Yeo also came back after a short absence due to travel and work.

We started off at 7.30am with a nice pace along Depot Road. I chatted with Adam for a bit before making my way to the front to join up with Kumaran and Teck Hou. We made our way to Queensway and then through the railway area leading to Portsdown Road. The front group also had DO, Freddy, Chin running alongside. As we finished Portsdown and moved along Dover Road, I ran up front and was trailing Kumaran and Teck Hou. The weather was cool this morning. My adiZero running shoes really felt comfy and light as I got into a nice 5min/km pace. Along the canal, I saw many runners and walkers, and we bumped into Benson who was running fast from the reverse direction. I was feeling good as I came to Buona Vista MRT. Kumaran went ahead without a break. I took a wrong turn into a construction area, before finding my way to the MRt toilets...haha.

Soon DO, Freddy, Chin & Melvin joined me, and the five of us proceeded onto Commonwealth, Queenstown, IKEA and Alexandra Road. Freddy went off to Alexandra Village for a toilet break, while the rest of us continued on. From AV, I ran ahead with DO and Chin behind. Soon only DO was running just behind me. I was maintaining a 5min/km pace still, and as I ran into Harbourfront, I increased the pace a tad more. Soon I reached the base of the ascent to Mt. Faber from Kg. Bahru. This is the steeper ascent up to Mt. Faber, and is always a challenge for most of us. I slowed my pace as I chugged up. I also shortened my stride, and was taking my time to climb. As I got to the steep portions, 5 tourist buses came along. They were emitting thick fumes as the drivers pressed hard on the pedals. The smoke and fumes choked me, and I struggled to breathe. There were short intervals where the air would be clearer, before the next bus came along and emitted more smoke....waah, I never had to climb a slope with so much black smoke and fumes. I finally made it up to the top, and slow jogged the final part as even more tourist buses came by. I spotted Teck Hou finishing his first round at MF. I waited for a short while at the top, and seeing that no one else was coming up, I ran on down and decided not to do another loop.

As I exited Morse Road, I spotted Ong, Jaime and Johnny who were taking a break at the Petrol Station. I waved them on, as I ran up the final 2km along Henderson Rd. This is always one of the tougher portions for me, as the slope is long. As I finished my run at ClubHouse, I saw wee san and Alan just going back too. san had finished 15km despite her fever...hmm, hope she broke a good sweat and recover faster from that run. Alan suffered a small bout of cramps and he was stilll nursing an injury. As we stretched, and took our well deserved 100plus, the rest started streaming back. All had a good run, and Karen even had time to take breakfast before coming back...hehe. I estimated I did 24km in 2hr15min...quite a satisfying run for me. I felt good, and my free pair of Nike socks provided a comfy fit today. ws showed me her ex. ironman socks which she swore to be soooo comfy...hmm, I may get one of those to try soon enough :).

Distance Ran:24km ____Time:2hr15min_____Pace:5:38min/km
Average HR:N/A____Max HR:N/A____KCal:1,800KCal est.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home