Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Preparations For Phuket Marathon

With all the majoy run events out of the way, I can finally start preparing for the Phuket Marathon in June18. That leaves approximately 2.5 months of training, which is comfortable enough for me. I am tapping on part of the Climbathon training, as well as I will using the Pacesetters 15km Run in KL as a tune-up for the June marathon. My weekly run schedule will be as follows:
Monday - Recovery run of 10km
Tuesday - 12km run with SAFRA MF
Thursday - 14km run with SAFRA MF
Sunday - 25km LSD


Did a 10km run on Monday with the Climbathon team at the old SMU track, runnning along Sixth Ave and skirting Botanic Gardens. A warm humid night as I was pushing myself a little to stay ahead with Xavier and Yulan. It was a nice run nevertheless. The Climbathon training will move to Bishan Stadium from April, and we will have monthly time trials of 10km run and 40-storey stairs climb to determine our progress. I hope to be able to keep up with the program, and join the team on its recce expedition in June, and of course do the race in October06.


I didn't join the SAFRA MF hill repeats on Tuesday. Instead, I ran a quick 10km loop around my home, before going for an appointment. It has been some time since I did this loop; I used to do it quite a lot when I started running on my own. Did it in 48:15min, not the fastest, but not too bad considering I was running an easy pace. I could feel the bad air from the haze during the final 2km.


Did a 16km tempo run with the SAFRA MF group on Thursday evening around the Botanic Gardens vicinity (Clubhouse -> Henderson Rd -> Delta Canal -> Ridley Park -> Tanglin Rd -> Botanical Garden -> Farrer Rd -> Margaret Drive -> Delta Canal -> Tiong Bahru Park -> Henderson Rd -> Clubhouse). There was heavy rain prior to the run, and the weather was real cool and nice, though still humid. Was talking to BabyMonster and found that she has trimmed down a fair bit. Divey mentioned she would do the full 16km if possible. DO updated me about the Climbathon training on Wed, as well as the NTUC Duathlon sponsorship. Have to swim 300m for the Duathlon...brrr, I must go find some life buoy....haha.

I carried a average pace of about 5:30 once I hit the Delta Canal area, after the series of lousy traffic junctions. The first part was nice as we ran into Botanic Gardens, and waited for the second group at the usual water-break area. Chatted with Alvin and found that he is a swim instructor, and listened to some fuelling tips he dispensed. For the second leg, it was just me and the road & elements. Ran along the 'demoralizing' Margaret Drive stretch at a much faster pace, and I tried hard to stay on the road. Running too much on the concrete curbs have been giving me some aches on the calves and shin...hmm, really have to get a pair of Nimbus to help cushion some of the bad shocks (which my dear legs have been taking). Raced a bit with small Chua at the home stretch of Delta Canal, and it was shiokzzz. Ran all the way back after chasing up Tay, and had a good stretch and cool 100plus when the rest came back. I estimated a run time of 1hr30min, covering 16km. cm and Divey's group came back, announcing they did the full 16km too... to loud applause. It seems like all are recovering well, and on the road to preparing well for Phuket and Pattaya races. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home