Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Start of circuit training

The SAFRA Running training program will have us start a month of circuit training to help tone our core muscles, which will hopefully help with improving our running. Did a quick 8km loop along Depot Road, Alexandra Road, Harbourfront and finally along Telok Blangah Rose back to ClubHouse. Another sizeable turnout today with rare guests Foo and Jimmy Tan, who haven't joined us for runs for some time already. New members such as Sagolene and Claire added nice colors to the scenery. I started off slowly enough, and as I got warmed up, I picked up speed and ran up towards Claire and Foo. They were running at quite a good 5min/km pace. After a bit, Ong had to stop due to his new injury.... hope he can recover from this one fast.

As we neared Alexandra Road, I moved ahead and tailgated Kumaran from about 50m. DO was running just behind me. From then on, we had no more slow downs as we crossed traffic light one after another, quite smoothly. I knew I was running at a sub-5min/km pace, and I liked to run at such a pace for shorter training runs, I was quite tired as we approached the slopes at Kampong Bahru area. I just pushed on and finished with a very satisfying short run in about 47min+. My pedometer showed only 7.1km with my setting of a 98cm stride-length. The correct distance covered should have been 8-8.1km according to the few foot-pods the other runners have. The inaccuracy from my pedometer stemmed from the faster speed due to larger strides used for the short run.

After a rest and some cooling down, we started on our circuit training when the rest came back. According to trainer Ong, SAFRA MF used to so such circuit training with the ex-Chairman, Tony, and it was helpful for developing running strength for members. We did sets of push-ups, burpees, leg-raises, squats and tip-toes with toe-curls. It was really challenging for me as I rarely do such exercises on my own. I enjoyed this new training format, and look forward to doing more of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home