Sunday, February 20, 2005

Inaugural Sunday Run With SAFRA Runners Group @ MacRitchie

Yes, finally made it for my first long run with the SAFRA Runners Club members this sunday morning.

I arrived early at carpark A, at aboute 6:40am. Did some warm-up stretches and soon met Thiam Huat, Foo, Wong, Philip Chua, Philip Tan, Adam, Tong Lin and the rest. Quite a big group today it seems, including 5-7 members from Toa Payoh side.

We started to run at about 7.15am from the start of the Northern Route from the pond side. Started my Polar HRM promptly selecting the 20k Exercise Set Program since I have been told we will cover about 21km today. The water bottle was not strapped on properly, and I had to carry the bottle in my hand for the entire duration of the run - really have to get one of these FuelBelts.

There were many runners starting off at about the same time, and soon I was slowly passing quite a number. After running for about 20min, exited the trails and ran along the road upwards the steep slopes around SICC. This is the part I know that will bring my heart rate very rapidly higher.


Heart Rate Chart For 1st Part Of Run

After about 2 steep slopes, we suddenly turn left towards a very scenic part of the golf course fringing the reservoir (not sure which hole of the SICC course this is). Met many runners coming back along this route.

After passing this scenic portion, we arrived at the first toilet/water point. This may have been the 35min point (based on HR readings). Did a quick pee, and proceeded on with Foo. Foo mentioned that there is some distance more to go from here, and to take it easy. From here, it was a series of up/down slopes...pretty challenging at times. It was around here where a series of steep slopes got my HR to a max of 182.

At about the 1hr mark, I exited to the main road. I ran an extra 1km here looking for people behind. Finally say Jimmy Tan and he showed me the way. From here it was to the Executive Golf Course (EGC) along Mandai Road where we have our second water point. Along the way, saw Foo and Jimmy Chua returning.

Jimmy Tan told me that very few runners, with the exceptions of those from SAFRA, MR25 and Red Hawke, that will run this route, since it is quite long for average runners.

We had a quick refill at the EGC water point, and as we were running out, we saw Adam trotting in. We returned to the same route, and along the serioes of slopes, my legs were feeling a little tired. I was quite well hydrated, since I was taking regular sips from the water bottle in my hand. By this time, we had been tunning for about 1.5hrs. Maybe a little strained from the 17km run I had the previous day.

We continued our way, and exited to Old Upper Thomson Road, then to Casuarina estate, along to Lower Pierce Reservoir before coming to the third water point. Lap time here showed 1:45min. We had run for about 18km, and Jimmy said it was just 4km more to go.


Heart Rate Chart For 2nd Part Of Run

Accidentally finished off the current exrecise set, and started a second set from here. Ran mainly along Upper Thosmson Road, to Thomson Road all the way to MacRitchie carpark A again. Took 22min to reach pack, at a faster pace.

Met up with the group, did some stretching, and I went for a hearty breakfast to re-fuel soon after. It was a good overall experience, and I look forward to the next run with the SAFRA group again.

Distance Ran:22km_____Time:2hr8min_____Pace:5:49min/km

Dream Runner

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it is getting somewhere.

Your Friend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home