Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Bi-monthly Speedwork @ Queenstown Stadium

This evening was speedwork at Queenstown Stadium. There was a smaller crowd than usual, and we did have a new runner, Alan join us. As major running events are coming up, we find that more new runners do join the SAFRA Runners to get up to speed with their training, if they have yet to find a group to have regular training runs with.

We ran a 4km to the Queenstown Stadium as a warm-up. I had on my Asics DS Trainers, just what I will need for track-work. We were supposed to do 800m (2 laps around the 400m track), at a 5m/km pace...ie 4min for 800m, then jogging for another 400m lap to rest...before repeating. This evening, we had 2 groups, with one starting 30seconds ahead, so to have both groups roughly arriving on time, as well has having about the same resting time.

The first lap as usual was fast, and everybody was enthusiastic and getting their correct pace. I returned with a 3min20s. I felt relaxed and good. Jogged a slow lap to rest, and went on the second 800m cycle. I returned with 3min33s...hmmm, settling into my average pace of 3:30min for 800m lap. Did the next 2 laps also about 3:30min kind of timing. At that pace, I normally reach 400m in 1:45min. I try to maintain a consistent pace for such speedwork exercises. I did the last 2 laps faster, to finish off the tank, completing in 3:05 laps.

4km warm-up: 25min
1st 800m repeat: 3:20min
2nd 800m repeat: 3:33min
3rd 800m repeat: 3:32min
4th 800m repeat: 3:20min
5th 800m repeat: 3:06min
6th 800m repeat: 3:07min
4km cool-down: 25min

I had a quick rest and drink from the toilets, and ran back 4km to ClubHouse, taking that as a cooling down recovery leg. I felt good going back tonight, indicative that I had not fully expended my energy. I did not have bananas today, just a tau-sar pau as snack 2hrs prior to the run. Apparently, that helped too.

Distance Ran:13km ___Time:1hr8min____Pace:5:14min/km
Average HR:147bpm___Max HR:178bpm___KCal:885KCal

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home