Thursday, August 11, 2005

6x800s Speedwork @ Queenstown Stadium

I had my first initiation of speedwork on a track at Queenstown Stadium this evening. SAFRA MF trainer Ong had planned this, and I was sort of looking forward to try interval repeats on a track. Moreover, I heard that the Stadium was just recently refurnished. When we started off from the ClubHouse at about 7pm, there were less than 10 of us....hmmm, maybe the rest are not too sure about doing speedwork, after last Thurday's hill repeats.

We ran a 4km to the Queenstown Stadium as a warm-up. I don my HRM and set to the Intervals program. This is the first time I am using the Intervals program, and this was a good time to try it out. The track was gorgeous, and the feeling was great. I had on my Asics DS Trainers, just what I will need for track-work. We were supposed to do 800m (2 laps around the 400m track), at a 5m/km pace...ie 4min for 800m, then taking a 5min rest...before repeating. If we could maintain this pace, then we should be doing a sub 4hr marathon.



The first lap was fast, and everybody was enthusiastic and getting their correct pace. I returned with a 3min40s. We took a 5min rest, and went on the second 800m cycle. I returned with 3min30s...hmmm, a bit too fast perhaps. But because I know it is only for 6x800m, I was spreading out my energy resources to try to finish the 6x800m repeats in about equal timing. For me that would be about 3:30min per 800m. I did the next 2 in about 3:25min. For the last 2 repeats, chairmain was saying that we could go all out and try to maximize our timings, although that would not be the marathon pace. I did the 5th repeat in also about 3:25min. For the last and 6th 800m, I gave it a good go, overtook the frontrunners after 200m, and then it was all the way trailing behind trainer Ong. I finished this last 800m in 3:01min....not bad an effort.

4km warm-up: 24min
1st 800m repeat: 3:40min
2nd 800m repeat: 3:30min
3rd 800m repeat: 3:25min
4th 800m repeat: 3:25min
5th 800m repeat: 3:26min
6th 800m repeat: 3:01min
4km cool-down: 26min

I had a quick rest and drink from the toilets, and ran back 4km to ClubHouse, taking that as a cooling down recovery leg. Overall, the distance covered would be approx. 13km, in a total running time of about 1:08hr. I enjoyed the workout, and look forward to having this sort of speed training about twice a month. This will help most of us preparing for our upcoming long races prepare for the gruelling last kms, as well as helping to get good timings.

Distance Ran:13km ___Time:1hr8min____Pace:5:14min/km
Average HR:154bpm___Max HR:169bpm___KCal:885KCal

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home