Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Ulu Pandan Canal Route

I had a big lunch followed by a huge dinner on Wed. I was so full, I could hardly walk. I think I put on an extra kg just from those food. So, this evening, I was prepared to run harder to sweat out the excesses. We were to tun the route to Portsdown, then along Dover Rd, to Clementi, then through the Ulu Pandan Canal, and all the way back along Queenstown Staudium way. The entire route was estimated to be 18km.

I wore my Polar HRM, and just before the run, Andre told me he just bought the Polar S610i at 40% discount - from a note I sent to him. What a great deal. I bought mine at only 30% discount. Francis then asked me how to set interval timings on the S610i. Heh...it seems many more are interested to use a HRM to monitor and improve their runs.

The first part of the journey was smooth. We did a fast pace, mainly with trainer Ong, Akira, Yuen, hs and myself up front. Along Portsdown Road, I took over the lead and went all the way to Dover Rd. Akira followed closely behind. However when we reached the Ulu Pandan Canal, I felt tired. The problem was compounded with chaffing from my running shorts....shit, this pair of shorts is a little small, and will cause chaffing once I run past 10km. I slowed down a little along the canal, and have Akira run ahead a little. At the end of the canal, we were joined by Ong and Yuen. hs had by that time turned back.

The 4 of us ran to Buona Vista MRT and had a good toilet break. From there, we decided to take the shorter route along Queenway Stadium. I was really drained, and it was partly because I did not eat much during lunch, and also running at a fast pace at the first half of the route. Akira and Yuen proved to be very strong, and sped away with Ong. I trailed at about 25m behind, and dragged my tired legs along. When we reached Queensway Shopping Centre, I signalled for Ong and Yuen to move ahead, as I wanted to run at a slower pace to the finish. When I reached the ClubHouse after covering the final stretch of Depot Rd, it was already 8.55pm. Ong, Akira, Yuen has just reached too. I saw hs coming in from another direction. The rest of the runners were back about 30min earlier, and have just finished bathing. I was famished at dinner, and took a good piece of fruit cake made by 'Aunty' alonbg with my Mee Pok and Cheng Tng. Teen mentioned that I looked tired, and indeed, this was one of my most tiring runs. I must have lost back that 1kg that I gained a day earlier...haha.

Distance Ran:18km___Time:1hr40min___Pace:5:33min/km
Average HR:N/A____Max HR:N/A____KCal:1300 est.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home