Monday, August 15, 2005

Test-driving new running shoes: NB754



My 2 pairs of favourite running shoes, mainly ASICS GT2090 for road running, Nike Air Storm Moto for off-road running are almost a year old. According to my Cool Running Log, which keeps track of my running shoe usage, amongst many other things, indicates that the ASICS shoe has crossed 1000km and I have used the Nike pair for almost 800km. I recently got a pair of ASICS DS Trainer for shorter distances, and possibly 10km races. And so, I have been looking to get another pair of cushioned shoes for my longer distances. With the recent big discount from New Balance offered to my running club, I decided to give New Balance (NB) a try.

I had a little time today, and visited the NB Technical Centre @ Comtech off Alexandra Rd. Went straight for the shoes display, and immediately the NB754 caught my eyes with its striking colours, and display of 'Runners' World Editor's Choice' award. The shoe expert gave a quick look at my legs, and correctly identified them as normal-arch, with my right foot slightly high-arch. She explained that the NB M754WG will fit me well, despite me having tried the NB766 (for over-pronators) at the NB trial run. I tried on a size 10, which surprisingly fit me to a T. I normally wear size 9 shoes. The shoe-laces were technically twisted to prevent loosening on the run, and I find the heel's buffer generous. The front of the shoe has an extra tilted angle to it. Hmmm...the great thing is the shoe feels a lot lighter than most of the shoes I've had. I decide to get it, and there was really nothing to loose since the price was so good.

I brought it for a test-drive during my 10km slow run with Beverly. The first few steps with it felt a little firm, and the cushion didn't feel so thick after all. After about 2km, I sort of didn;t feel the shoe at all. It felt so good, and it seemed the shoe was part of my feet. After the 10km run, my legs still felt fresh. My initial feel for this shoe is great, and I hope this continues for my longer runs over the next few weeks. It it proves to be good, I will use it for my Army 21km as well as StanChart Marathon at year end. For a shoe at that price, and performance, I guess I have nothing to complain so far, despite the fact that it is made-in-Vietnam, as opposed to the more famous made-in-China brands like ASICS, Nike.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home