Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Laying Off Running: Some Gymwork

I do not normally blog about other non-running activities. With my recent laying off running due to ITBS, I decided to keep up training with some gymwork to strengthen my running core, and also some cardio maintenance with a few laps in the pool.

I am not one who is into swimming, but I guess I will start doing more, since it is as good as anytime to strengthen my swimming for my future participation in multi-discipline events. I sawm about 2 laps of front-crawl (which I find very difficult), and another 4 laps of breast-stroke. Thats about it. My swimming sucks. But at least I got in some exercise, else I will feel lethargic.

I just had a review of my running last week, and realized I developed ITBS due to continuous running for 3 straight days. I will make it a point not to repeat this to avoid injuries from running. I am planning to attend a injuries and recovery seminar this saturday organized by the Changi Centre For Sports Medicine. I hope to get more guidance on proper training and rest, as well as look for some help for my ITBS from the sports consultants there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi uncle anthony, for gym work, remember to do light weights and high reps, dont go for heavy weights as that would actually kill your endurance.

For upperbody, gd to concentrate on the back muscles and deltoids, these would aid in running.

For lowerbody, can do leg lifts and hamstring curls. Try not to do leg extension coz slight mistake in this one would actually worsen your ITBS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home