Sunday, October 23, 2005

30km SAFRA Location Run @ East Coast Park

There was a group of SgRunners that joined me for the SAFRA Location Run at East Coast Park. This is a quarterly run organized for all runners from the various SAFRA Running Clubs, and is a highlight of the Club's running activities for the year. BrokenRunner, DO, Ultraman, cosmic_wind, tekko, IronManDreamer joined in to try a LSD training run with SAFRA. The previous night was raining cats & dogs, and fortunately it stopped by the time the run started. The weather was very cool. I picked up DO and we arrived at carpark C4 near MacD. By 7am, a large group of SAFRA runners already gathered.

After a brief by David Shum, the run was called to start. Runners had an option to turn back at Esplanade for a 21km distance. As we ran, I introduced Chairman to most of the SgRunners, and they chatted a while. Ultraman was late, but managed to rush all the way down in 15min, and then took all of 5min to catch up with us. It was a slow pace for the first 3km or so, with lots of chatting and getting to know one another...a bit like a fun run. Once we got out into fort road, we pickd up pace and moved towards Kallang and then taking the AHM route to Esplanade. Along the way, I ran mainly alongside Ultraman and DO. We had a great time chatting about the SgRunner events and news of the day. We took a break at the Esplanade toilet, and I took a Powergel (Tangerine with double-caffeine). I felt good at that point in time, and estimated distance was about 12km.

We continued along Shenton Way, then turning left to Marina and started to see some runners turning back. We hit the midway point (B02 bustop) and took a turn back. At some point, we broke contact and somehow landed in Robinson Road where there was filming of an action movie going on. Car chase and acrobatics were displayed. We continued on, and then later rejoined the main group again. We probably ran an extra 1km because of some detours. Then we saw Mike and Yuen, and we ran back to Esplanade for a final break. From there it was about 12km back to the end point. We took an extra 5mins to do some stretching. We continued and as we reached the end where the Marina Promenade is, DO and I moved slightly ahead of Ultra. My legs were getting tired at that point. As we pounded forward, I saw Wong and Chin just ahead. As we finally reached fort road again, my ITB acted up. I slowed down, and continued to run, hoping it will not flare up. It was contained, and when I slowed down, DO overtook me at that stage. He mentioned that we have about 3-4km left to go. I picked up my heavy legs and pounded all the way back to MacD for the finish. It was the longest 3-4km finish I ever encountered. I was so tired. The strain of the lack of sleep (I slept probably 1hr only) from the previous night was taking it toll. I pushed on and finally finished to a round of applause. Immediately took isotonic drinks, and 2 bananas to reload, since I felt quite depleted at the finish. I followed that with a packet of Bee Hoon and a ice-packet. The food was great. Then we mingled and I was impressed with the performances of cosmic_wind, tekko, Brokie, tekko, IronManDreamer who did very well. Of course DO, Ultra and myself weren't too bad either. Found out the CheeryRunner n Pre had left for home after completing their respective distances.

I did not time properly at all, but we estimated we took about 3hrs to do the 30+km, about 6min/km. We also got to know many other SAFRA members, and especially Eileen who had just joined the TP side. She apparently came in third at the AHM with a timing of 1:45hr...wow, and she looked great. DO and myself together with Rita who introduced, chatted a bit with her. Hmmm, refreshing. Overall, the SgRunners enjoyed the run, and the support, and I was happy to have completed the 30km with only slight pain in my left knee. I will need to apply the RICE treatment, but it will be easier said than done...hehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home