Sunday, May 14, 2006

Prep Phuket Marathon: A Hot & Sunny 32km LSD

Gathered at SAFRA MF this morning for what would be my second final LSD before tapering off for my Phuket Marathon in June. The weather forecast was for showers in the morning, and I was keeping my fingers crossed. The regular group of SAFRA runners were present; Ong, Jaime, wee san, Derrick, Wong, Adam, Colleen & William, Chin, Freddy, Jimmy Chow, TLH. Leng from SAFRA TP joined as a guest runner.

After a brief by Ong on the 2 routes, one 32km covering Sentosa NBRR and then extending to Marina South for the Marathon Route, and then back along Henderson Road; the other covering 25km, turning back at the B02 bus-stop along Marina South. san was still having tightness in her ITB, and I told her to start slowly. We started off at 7.15am, slightly late, but intention was probably to condition for running between the hours of 8am-11am. I went ahead along Henderson Road with Ong, Jimmy, Wong, Chin. We ran a steady pace towards Harbourfront and when all gathered at the crossing to Sentosa, we made a group move in. There was no need to show our Sentosa passes, since it was still quite early in the morning. I chatted with William about his posting to Australia for a year, and his plan to do the Sydney Marathon...lucky devil..hehe. I then moved along and ran along with Wong and Chin. We proceeded to Sentosa Cove and back, then turning off to Tanjong Beach before finally arriving at the toilet for our water break. Ong continued to run ahead without stopping for water. When most of the runners had gathered, I continued to run along to the Jungle Trail and saw Adam, Jaime, Colleen and William in there. After a short chat with them, I proceeded to exit Sentosa in the heat of the sun. The weather was hot this morning, and the sun was shining brightly after 8am. Exiting out of Sentosa, I would have covered 15km, as I turned right along Keppel Road towards the PSA and Railway station. The sun was getting to me as I tried to run in the shade when I could. There were some construction of the roads along the way as I weaved in and out. When I got to Shenton Way, I was feeling quite drained, and was looking forward to reach Victor Bowl in Marina South for more water. As I entered into Marina South, I spotted Ong and I ran up towards him.

Both of us ran along the Marathon Route, and when we reached Victor's Bowl, I stopped for water while Ong continued on. Ong was trying to condition himself to take less water stops. I was feeling thirsty, and I needed to slow down the pace as well. As I ran on for another 1km, Ong was on the return path. I continued on and was thinking why the route was so long...haha. I finally reached back to Victor's Bowl after what seemed to be a very long loop inside Marina South. I made a pit stop for Gatorade, and walked for about 200m. With my stomach full of water, I made my way out of Marina South and exiting into Prince Edward Road. I was stopped by a mother and son who were asking for directions...a good rest for me as well. I then moved on and soon hit the PSA area again. It was hot, and I was really feeling drained. I was thinking that the distance must have been more than anticipated by Ong. I slowed to a shuffle as I felt my legs getting heavy. I downed some Gatorade leftover from the bottle, and that gave me the boost to continue all the way to the crossing to Telok Blangah Rise. The sun was shining brightly as I crossed the road walking, and had to pick up my heavy legs to get out of the sun...phew! I walked a bit more before finally finishing off the run in the ClubHouse, I was really drained, and couldn't even find energy to do a customary sprint...just wanted to get out of the sun. I saw Ong at the ClubHouse, and he seemed to have reached shortly before me. The rest of the runners were already dressed, with Derrick, Ong and me doing cool downs.

I did some stretches, and drained my legs by lifting them up. It felt good. I downed a can of 100plus, walked around a bit to cool further, before taking my bath. The rest waited for Ong and myself, before we proceeded to Cafe Cartel in Orchard Cineleisure for a good carbo replenishment. Reflecting on the run, I feel that I need to be better conditioned for running in the sun. I was also tired out a bit by the initial 15km in Sentosa, with its ups and downs. My Adizero shoes felt good, with some heat generated (but well dissipated by the Ironman socks)...hmm, the shoes felt light, and did not weigh on my legs, but I am not too sure if the cushion is sufficient...I am satisfied for the moment... may wear the Adizero for my Phuket Marathon. I look forward to doing another hard LSD in hot sun 2 weeks from now. That will be my final long run, and I hope I will be conditioned enough for the heat and hills in Phuket.

Distance Ran: 32km ____Time:3hr30min_____Pace:6:34min/km
Average HR:N/A____Max HR:N/A____KCal:2,300KCal est.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home