Tuesday, July 04, 2006

MR25 25km Progressive Run

I was feeling better this Sunday morning, after a slight sore throat developed on Saturday. I have been having lots of big dinners after my Phuket Marathon, and really was looking forward to this 25km Progressive Run to help worked away the excesses...hee. Picked up DO and Teck Heng (MR25 professional photographer and elite marathon runner :), arrived at MacRitchie around 6.45am and saw a small gathering at the registration table. Registered myself and then met up with some SgRunners Ultraman, Alvo, teelee, Ronnie who were there for the run. The usual MR25 runners of Lim Lian Hock, Tobias, Donald, sumiko, et al were there as well to run and help with registration. Teck Hou, Sock Hwa and Goola of SAFRA MF Runners also registered for the run.



After a brief by the MR25 President about the route, we started off at 7am. With a few water points set up, I decided to leave my fuel belt behind, including my mini Snickers bar...oops...no refuel. I had on my NB running thights to test out the comfy level. Most of the runners shot ahead, and I was the back group running merrily along Northern Route. The air was a bit humid this morning, and I was already breathing quite heavily despite my slower start pace...hmm. I exited Northern Route at about 19min+, and it seems that Teck Hou, teelee, Ultra, DO and gang have already shot far ahead...wow...really fast pace. As I navigated the slopes along SICC Golf course, I saw Ronnie and gave him some words of encouragement..around that point, Jaffar ran past me (he must have started late and playing catch up). Took a drink at the water point along the slopes (later we will be passing this way a few more times), and continued on at my own pace, and as I ran into Upper Pierce Reservoir and then into air-cond road. I overtook just 1 Ang Moh guy along air-cond road, and I could see Tobias on the return already, with a few others, then Teck Hou, teelee...the front pack, then Ultraman and a few others. I gave them the thumbs up as they ran past me :)...as I neared the PUB station, DO had just turned, and we exchanged words of encouragement.


Up the SICC slopes...

On the way out of cool air-cond road, I saw Ronnie, Alvo and then saw sh and Goola at the junction, and shouted to them the route to take. The stretch of slopes along UPR to the main gate to OUTR were quite ok, and again Tobias and the rest came on the return. I stopped for 2 cups of 100-plus (thanks to Ultra for the sponsorship) before moving on to overtake Neo, and another runner. I had taken about 57min+ at that point...hmm, seemed like alot slower than when I reached that point during the 20km Progressive Run. I was still conserving myself for the 'siong' Rifle Range stretch, and I moved along cautiously not wanting to expend my fuel-tank...hehe...I didn't have bananas nor chocolate for refuel this morning lah.. I saw the rest of the runners including Goola, sh and we acknowledged one another. By the time I reached the end of UPR crossing over to MR, the sun was slowly rearing its head. I could see DO's back, probably 200m in front...Ultra and gang was nowhere to be seen...must be at least 500m in front. Came out of the Golf Course and back onto the SICC road, and then the water point again. I think James (a committee member) was manning the station, and I had 2 cups of 100-plus again...heaven...James briefly told me the route in front, since there was no one in sight...haha. That was the start of the 'siong' Rifle Range terrain, as I ran up 2-3 sandy and sometimes muddy and rocky slopes. My Adizero SN, while good for the road, was not providing good support for the ankle...lots of twists..I nearly injured my right ankle. I took in this part cautiously and as I came to the pipes area, Teck Heng took some nice shots...I slowed down to pose a little..haha. Teck Heng was earlier along SICC road where we took the first shots of us attacking the slopes on the road. I continued on the stretch at a easy pace, still not wanting to rush, as I know the return stretch would be tough. Hit Rifle Range Road, and then another water point. DO just had his break, and moved on. That was the mid-point of about 12.5km..my time showed 1hr22min.





The Rifle Range Trails

On the return along the Rifle Range trails, I saw Donald...hmm, he should be way upfront...later I found that he went to the toilet (must be some stomach upset)... anyway, he caught up with me in no time. After the 3-4 slopes, my legs were feeling jelly, and I was getting low on fuel... really had to work very hard to go up those few slopes. Finally reached the water point yet again, and I saw that Donald and DO just left. I took my final 2 cups of water, and with about 7km and 3 more slopes, I ramped up my engine for the final burst. Went up 1 slope, then another after the turn into Ranger Station. Along Sime Trail, I nearly twisted my ankle again...those rocks and pebbles really made the trail very undulating and quite unfriendly.. I slowed down to avoid any injury, and only picked up speed again when I reached Jelutong Tower. With about 5km more to go, I was feeling quite ok, and I moved along the wooden bridge, onto the open road along the Golf Course. The sun was out, but I was not really affected then. I probably had sufficient hydration. I saw DO at the tree trunk area, and I had my planned walk up those treacherous roots path. DO asked me to move ahead, as he wanted a slightly longer walk. I ran down to the exercise area, and with 2.5km more to go, my watch showed 2hr02min. I felt good at the point, and there was good shade too... so I just ran at a faster pace and by the time I reached Lornie Trail, I overtook one other runner, and finally I saw Ultra...hehe...touched his back, and found that he was having some stitches...maybe the 100-plus? Completed the whole run in 1hr16min flat, and was feeling quite good about the whole run...I could have started off a tad cautious, and didn't expend myself...I still had some reserves in the end, though not much lah :)). Ultra and DO was just a whisker behind. Teck Hou and teelee did very well with 2:02-2:03 times.
Distance Run: 25km___Time Taken: 2hr16min___Pace: 5:26min/km

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home