Thursday, August 10, 2006

MF Hill Intervals

I joined SAFRA MF this evening for my first MF hill intervals. Hill intervals have been a feature of SAFRA MF training since trainer Ong devised the training program late last year, but I have never done it even once, always fearing that the down slopes will cause my knees misery. I finally found a window this evening to just try the hill intervals. Trainer Ong was not around, and cm conducted the training. Quite a large group had gathered.

We started off at 6.45pm and ran a 3km along Telok Blangah Way and ascended the steep slope of Telok Blangah. Alan Chao and his Special Training Squad ran as a separate group to Mt. Faber as well. By the time I finished the ascent, I was breathing heavy and my legs could feel the strain of yesterday's New Bug Run. The group assembled at Carpark D, at the start of Mt. Faber Loop. We were to do as many of the 1.6km hill loops within 1 hour. My initial plan was to do 5 and then assess the condition of my legs before adding more. The first 2 loops were pretty heavy going, as I was not suitably warmed up. Bug and Derrick had zoomed ahead, and I was following just being TLH. The rest of the runners did their own pace behind. cm was at the carpark junction shouting out the timings and the number of loops we had taken...very nice of him, since trainer was not around. Akira joined us for training after a long layoff, and he declared 'I am back'. Good to see him, and told him about the article write-up about his history at the Red Hawke website. The third loop had TLH speeding away...I think he was about to finish up his run. I was careful not to chiong with him, and just ran my own pace. I lapped the group of runners as I pushed myself up the slopes. My legs were getting heavy, and I was tempted to take short cuts..hehe.

I finished the 4th and 5th 1.6km loop feeling much better as my system had warmed up. As I felt ok after the 5th loop, I decided to go for a final one. Dennis was just finishing his 5th loop, and I ran along with him for my 6th. I finally finished my ascent feeling so drained, but good..and went for a quick descent. Midway down, I could hear footsteps, and it was Bug chionging away to finish his 7th loop..wah, what a speed monster. Near the end, I saw Alan Chao and his runners (small Chua, Lai Chee, Jimmy Chow) doing a recovery lap down....ran past them, and we cheered one another. Completed my 6 loops of 1.6km each in about 53min...I decided to call it a day. My Polar stopwatch showed the following time splits for eeach of the 1.6km laps:-
lap 1: 8min28sec
lap 2: 8min37sec
lap 3: 8min51sec
lap 4: 9min00sec
lap 5: 9min11sec
lap 6: 8min45sec
Total Distance: 9.6km___Time Taken: 52:55min__Pace: 5:31min/km

We took a walk back when all assembled. And for the first time in my 1.5years with SAFRA MF, I took a shortcut down from MF...haha, refreshing. Exited out from Henderson Road, and we did a slow recovery jog back to ClubHouse. Had a nice makan at the usual hawker centre, and I discussed with Bug and Derrick the challenge of running a good pace at this new AHM route. I don't think I can hit my target of sub 1hr40min this coming AHM, but I will give it a good shot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!! glad u enjoy the 1st MF interval trainings! :D hope tt u will join in more n more hehe :D

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

definitely will do more of these hill intervals, after AHM :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home