Sunday, January 04, 2009

MR25 (10km) Progressive Run 2009


The first timed run of the year to usher in 2009 at MacRitchie this Sunday. Another good turnout, many from SgRunners and Team FatBird, keen to try out this much heard about MR25 Progressive Run Series. I was there to put in my quota for this year just in case I am tied down with other race and training commitments later in the year.

Choosing to preserve the Lunar Racer for less rocky terrain, I decided to put on my near-retirement Katana IV for this relative short distance. The shoe still runs well, and it is so light with sufficient cushion...hmm...how I wish I can get another pair similar to this. With the opening of the Sime Trail, the 10km route this year is a loop (as opposed to last year's to/fro Northern Route) coming back via Lornie Road.

I started off relatively easy, choosing to conserve and get warmed up along Northern Route. Got overtaken by the usual speed demons, but I was happy to glide along and not over-stride. The breathing was ok, and the cool, cloudy weather helped. I was out of Northern Route in 18min+...hmm, slightly faster than the usual 19min+. I was surprised there were no water points this time, and I continued up the slope to Pump House.

The rocky trails at Sime Trail posed only a light challenge to the Katana IV....mid-foot cushion and flexibility was good. Traded places with a few MR25 regulars, and by the tree-roots area, spotted acidburn, Ultra, kk, Darren along the way. By the time I hit Lornie Road, it was just 2km+ to finish. I closed the gap with Ultra who was relaxing, until I passed him. He was motivated again, and we ran side-side all the way to the finish in quite a good pace...shiokz. We finished in 49min+, and then spent some time to cheer and guide the familiar faces in. Yamsong, Kopibaby, YN, Charmane, Sleek, Ah Beng, renoh all did very well, and have the potential to go even faster.


Individual & Group Photos, courtesy SteveChoo of MR25, BoSe of SgRunners

After the race, we went on to do a recce of the 5km Time-Trial route. The team will have having a number of runners joining in the MR25 TT in Feb09...wishing them all the best, and I know they will qualify in good form. After a quick wash-up, it was off to the meeting-point (Adam Food Centre) for dishings of the famous fare....lots of chats and laughter to top a very nice run outing. Till the next Progressive Run (15km) in March :)

Distance: 10km XC__Time: 49:30min__Pace: 4:58min/km

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home