Sunday, May 24, 2009

Saucony Passion Run 2009

@ Start Of 15km Non-Competitive Race, courtesy Wee

Victory Smiles, courtesy Max

It was my first race for the year, and even then, I had signed up for the 15km non-competitive as I was in the mood for a fun race. DO and Bev could not join me for the run as they had some last minute commitments. When I reached F2 carpark at 6.30am, it was already full....had to park along the side of the road further up. Met Raven and Solomon near F2 toilet....I had the opportunity to do a light warm-up jog while chatting with Solomon.

When I went to the pen at 7.15am, the 10km runners were just about to be flagged off. Spotted the FatBirds and some other familiar faces in there....so I went in to join them after the 10km went off. We had the front view and Wee shouted at us for some photos...nice of him. Our run started at 7.35am....Spencer, babumouse, Charmane, Melvin and myself went ahead first, followed by Terry, Beng, Suan, Mashie, June. Melvin moved up and said we were running too fast for a non-competitive race, but he then went ahead after saying that....hahaha. I followed closely behind Spencer, babumouse, Melvin and another Indian boy.

Away we went - Mashie, Charmane, Melvin in sight

Felt footsteps closing in from behind...at the turn near Big Splash, I realized it was scoopsoup... haha. He was running with me closely for last year's passion run too :). By the 4km, we had hit the human jam....our pace then was about 4:40min/km. Scoopsoup went ahead to lead the way, and I followed closely behind him and Spencer....slack a bit lah. It was difficult weaving in and out, and running on grass and sand....but we just bore with it since we started off from the non-competive category.

By the 8km, Scoop and I ran ahead towards F2. There was some relief after that as the 10km took their home turn back. At the sailing club, I spotted Teck Hou doing his LSD, and he ran along for a bit. The sun was blazing down on us and my breathing grew rather heavy. Quite a number of friends and kakis were shouting words of encouragement, and I too gave them the thumbs up. The Indian boy fell back once we turned at NSRCC, and it was just 5km back. My pace had dropped to 4:45min/km by then....the hot sun certainly didn't help.

Many of the 15km and 10km runners in the earlier waves were walking by then, and we had to do a little bit more weaving. I moved ahead of Melvin (who was conserving for his Sundown next week) and also saw Amy doing very steady for her 10km. With 3km to go, I continued my weaving in and out, and pushed for the finish. When I realized there was some discrepancy from the 12km to 13km distance markers, I pulled back a little so as not to burn out. Finally reached F2 and certain it was just 1km to go, I made the final effort to finish strongly. I could see the white cap of scoopsoup in front, and I kept up the pace. Finished in 1hr09min with arms raised for hopefully, a nice photo.

Happy runners @ SgRunners' booth

After collecting my finisher's medal and goodie bag, I went around to meet many familiar faces and exchanged some experiences about the race. Went to SgRunners' booth to meet with the FatBirds and SgRunners. Lots of familiar faces, some of whom I have not seen for some time. It was great catching up, exchanging tips, and taking group photos. We then had a rip-roaring time cheering for the podium finishers, esp. Lai Chee who came in 1st for the Women's 15km, YN who finished a commendable 8th in her first 15km race, and Roonz who finished in 6th for the Women's 15km. Keonz was unlucky to have just missed out from the 10th position of the Men's 15km. Overall, a very good outing for Team FatBird runners, many i-RUNners as well as SgRunners. All of them received their prizes from SM Goh Chok Tong....priceless. Very nice experience despite the weather and crowd....well done, Passion Run race oragnizers.

Distance: 14.98km__Time: 1hr9min__Pace: 4:42min/km

Photos courtesy of Wee, IMD

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home