Thursday, September 08, 2011

Minimus Goes ZERO

...zero heel-to-toe drop, that is. Had a chanced meeting with New Balance's newest model of the Minimus range, the Minimus Zero Trail, MT00.

As I was on the way for my weekly group run, I decided to trial it straightaway, what with the opportunity to test this sleek 4.4oz beauty on 5km of concrete. The key feature of the MT00 is the 0mm heel-to-toe drop, a much desired requirement for barefoot-running and minimalist purists...hence the model name, Minimus Zero!

The first km felt so light with the shoes, yet with ample mid-foot cushioning and surprisingly, good responsiveness too. The upper was near 'paper thin', giving a better cooling-off than its predecessor, the MT10. The horizontal strap was also very much diminished, reducing the 'too snug' feel, and allowing me to get a good fit on my usual 9.5 size.

Traction was reasonably good on that concrete surface, although I think it will offer even better grip on trails. The 0mm drop felt comfortable enough for a mid-foot striker like myself, and I could not feel that much difference from the 4mm drop offered by the current MT10.

There aren't that many reviews of this version yet, although you can get some initial perspectives from LoseTheShoes & leaks from BirthdayShoes. My personal hunch from this maiden run with the MT00 is that this might turn out to be a nice surprise for many of the minimalist purists and barefoot-running aficionados.

Below is a sneak preview of more from the NB Minimus Zero Range



Related Posts with Thumbnails

3 Comments:

At 3:50 AM, Blogger Kennyo said...

Hello,
kenny from Losetheshoes.net, great post and i enjoy your blog. Now how did you get your toes in those sexy shoes? lol

kenny

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

Hi Kenny,

got them from the local NB office...still hot from the oven :D

I had to do a quick run with it to get the initial feel...found that LoseTheShoes had some comments on it, and so put a link there...hope you won't mind me sharing with the other readers :)

I hope the shoes will be available soon for all to enjoy.

Cheers!
Dream

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

Sep 12: Brought it for a 8km run in a local nature park - awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home