Sunday, November 13, 2005

Final 40km LSD before SCSM05

Went down to SAFRA MF today for the 40km run of the SCSM route. When I reached the Clubhouse, there was a large group of Toa Payoh runners starting their 15km run from Mt. Faber. The TP group have already started to taper, and are down to 15km for their Sunday runs. I took a hasty breakfast of cereal, and forgot my bananas. I put on my Patt Strap as well to avoid having my ITB flare up during the long run. I saw runalone from SgRunners who have just joined SAFRA MF doing his warmup. He did tell me he was to try this 40km route and will run with SAFRA for the first time.

We started promptly at 7am. I took an easy pace, and was with the main group for at least the first 10km. Runalone was with trainer Ong in front. Alan Chao and Kumuran had already zoomed ahead and was running their faster pace. The weather started well, and we soon reached Marina South. On the way, we could see the MR25 Secret 10km race being conducted...the usual suspects of Tony Seakins, JJ and Mika Kume were leading the pack. We took a break at the Marina Bowling Centre. We continued back out of Marina South, moved to Shenton Way, ran towards Kallang and all the way to Fort Road. The sun was rearing its head, and was beating on us fiercely. I had to take more sips of water, and just before Fort Road entrance to East Coast Parkway, I caught up with Ong and runalone/Freddy. Ong said that was 21km and a quick check of the watch showed 2hr05min...quite a good 6min/km pace.




We turned back and ran for another 1km before stopping for a break at the Petrol kiosk. The rest of the runners were already breaking there. I took my PowerGel at this point, and downed it with some 100plus. We proceeded on towards the Kallang Riverside, and the sun was really hot by then. My legs were starting to get tired, and even Ong was slowing down. Runalone went ahead, and after about another 5km or so, we took a break at the entrance to the Marina Promenade. After this break, Ong told us to go ahead as he was feeling the strain of the weather. Runalone, Chua, Sok Hwa, Hock Soon and myself moved on. My steps were getting smaller, and I was feeling the strain too. We passed The Esplanade, but didn't stop for any break. We moved on till we reached Collyer Quay, and took our final toilet break there. Chua was saying we might have 8km more to reach back to ClubHouse. I picked up my heavy legs and followed the front pack of Chua and Sok Hwa. Hock Soon had by now dropped behind. Along Keppel Road, the heat was unbearable as it was the overhead sun beating on us. We moved on and I made a temporary stop at around the Sentosa Entrance point for a breather, waiting for traffic lights. Chua and sh have moved ahead already. I realized they took the slightly longer route towards Telok Blangah Way. I followed suit, but at a very slow pace...might be even 7min/km by then. I was aiming to hit Morse Road, but that seemed so far away.

After some chugging, I reached Keppel Hill. From there, I emptied my water bottles and trudged towards Telok Blangah Road. The stretch of Telok Blangah Road never looked so long and hilly to me before...must be my tiredness getting the better of me. Soon I saw Ong walking in front, and I too started to walk for about 100m. With about 300m to go, I started to run and ran past Ong to reach the ClubHouse in 3hr53min. Ong later confirmed the distance to be 39km. I felt so drained and took lots of 100plus and cold water-melon. They were great, thanks to the preparations done by Chairman, Adam and Yean. I did my stretches, washed up, and headed straight for home where I had to prepare for the SgRunners' Lim Hgee Huat event. It was the longest preparatory run I did so far for SCSM, and I was sure glad it was done. I will now look forward to tapering mileage for the next 3 weeks before my virgin Marathon. I hope all this preparations will put me in good stead.

Distance Ran:39km ___Time:3hr53min____Pace:5:57min/km
Average HR:158bpm___Max HR:183bpm____KCal: 3,132 est.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home