Monday, January 30, 2006

Bukit Batok Nature Park: A CNY recce run


Had the opportunity to do a short run at my brother's house @ Bukit Batok. Went for a brief recce in my car to 'Little Guilin' and along the way saw the entrance to Bukit Batok Nature Park. This has been one park I have long wanted to run in, having heard its legendary slopes and the murder of a lady jogger in its quiet surroundings some years ago.

After feasting on lots of tidbits, I decided to do the run in the cool weather. Sis-in-law showed me the path that led to the Park. After about 1km, I entered the Park from Bukit Batok side...ran some nice loops, and then exited and ran along the 2.5km bicycle track. It led me to Hillview Ave, and then I ran along Upper Bukit Timah Road till I reached the other entrance...the steep upslope. I took a good breath, and ran up the approximately 500m steep upslope. It was a hard workout. Though it was not as long as the MF slopes, it was steep...very similar in nature to Telok Blangah Hill. Finally reached the top, and before I could recover, there were three long flights of steps to run...hmm, good for vertical marathon training....all the way up the satellite towers.

Hit the top, and ran down again, took a side exit to a viewpoint where I could see Guilin View. It was nice and scenic. I then ran the other side, hoping to reach to the bottom of the Park. Ran into some private estates, Hume Heights, and then was confronted by 3 fierce dogs which were not on leash. I had to growl louder than them, while running away, before reaching back....hmm, I shall try again to do this some other time. I ran back along the slopes which I ran up from, and after getting a sports drink from a Petrol Kiosk, ran 2km more before reaching back. I estimated a total of 10km taking about 1hr. A nice run alone, rare occasions for me these days, and I enjoyed the solidarity and serenity of the run. Hope to be able to explore more of this area, maybe next will be to the 'Little Guilin' area.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home