Thursday, February 24, 2005

26km run along Yio Chu Kang Rd (24 Feb 2005)

'Honk...Hoooonk'. All of a sudden, I was awaken from my Runner's High, after running for about 1hr45min. I was really in the zone, with just 6km to home, after already 20km since 5.30am. I looked around, thinking it must be some irritable driver getting stuck in traffic. But wait...could it be my fairy-godfather, fulfilling my wish list this year for a spanking new Mercedes Benz? Dreams do come true sometimes, especially when one is in the zone...Naah, just jesting!

'Honk..Honk..Honk', I looked across the road, and there I saw someone in a nice Mercedes Benz waving at me, and shouting something. I could not make out who it was, since I was still in my zone. I waved back, knowing I'll find out later who that was. I was thinking of those people I know who drive Mercedes Benz of that size and colour, and who could be along that stretch of road at that hour...3 people came to mind. After another 50m or so, 'Honk...Honk' again. This time, I saw a guy dressed in nice business outfit waving at me from a petrol station across the main road...Ahhhh, it was Tony Koh, my friend and business associate in the healthcare business. Tony literally got out of his car, and I could see his beaming face. He must have been wondering 'What The Heck is this Anthony doing, running like crazy in the morning rush hour?"...HaHa, Tony, I will explain when we meet next.

After bumping into Tony and with his enthusiastic reception, I perked up for the next 3km.


The Yio Chu Kang Rd-Upper Thomson Rd Loop

The morning started at abt 5.15am. I decided to do the run in the morning, since I have some appointments in the day, stretching to the night. I will not be able to run with the SAFRA people tonight. I thought might as well put in some mileage. I felt like doing a longish one, and was deciding between the Yio Chu Kang (YCK) stretch, or the Ponggol end. I went with the YCK loop since it will have less traffic at that time. The route also passes many estates where my friends and associates live, my previous work places, as well as my previous home. This stretch does bring back good memories.



Put on my heart rate monitor, set to 20kSet, did a few warm-up stretches, and I went. The morning at 5.30am was already coming alive, with the bus system starting to operate. There were people watching football (Chelsea, I heard) at the coffee shops along Upp Serangoon Road. After a while, I passed by Gerald Drive...wondering, Cartel, my friend must be still sleeping. Continued to move off, and passed the junction of Jalan Kayu after about 35min of running. I immediately thought of Jemme and Johnner, who lived a little deep inside this quiet and serene estate. Nice. Jemme might be awake watching football? Nah, better catch him next time. Don't want to scare his family in the early morning. His sister might think I was about to pull her along for a good run...Ha Ha, funny thoughts help to keep the spirit going...moving on...

Continued along the very long stretch of YCK Rd, and after a while, I neared Apple Computer office. Hah, I was working there for 7 years. Very fun and creative culture, and I had many a cool toy from Apple. Just ahead was the Castle Green condominium, where I lived for a while. The swimming pool here is large, and that was one reason I bought the place then. Checked my watch, 54min elapsed. I remembered I reached here abt 55min the last time. OK, similar pace. Then moved on passing Teachers Estate and finally reached Upper Thomson Rd. Made a turn right upwards for another few km, before turning back to the Casuarina estate, to get my refreshment.

Took a 5min break of 100plus. The heart rate in the chart indicated low pulse, rest. Hmmm, very refreshing. The coffee shop just opened, and the pratas were being readied. I had been running for about 1.5hrs already, and having a very steady heart rate of 140+...pretty ok for such long runs.

After the quick drink, continued the return journey back along YCK road on the reverse. I could see that traffic was starting to build up. I hastened my pace a little, and very soon reached Castle Green again. Pressed the Lap button on my watch, for the final lap timing back. I did 54min back, same as when I came. Very consistent pace...good. Ran past Jalan Kayu entry point, followed by Gerald Drive...and it was just ahead that Tony Koh horned (Tony, correct me if I am wrong).

Traffic really is heavy by now, 7.45am. Getting quite difficult crossing those traffic junctions. Finally finished the run at about 8.00am, taking me 2hr35min to cover 26km. I think this ranked as the longest solo run I had without any rest. Of course I did 40km in January 2005 to support The Lonely Runner's charity drive for tsunami victims, but that was for charity, and I had a rest break of 30min after 20km.

Anyhow, I will have to start even earlier next time, if I wish to run longer, and yet avoid bustling traffic on the way back.

Distance Ran:26km_____Time:2hr35min_____Pace:5:56min/km
Average HR:147bpm_____Max HR:159bpm_____KCal: 1820


Keep On Running, Don't Stop Running!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home