Friday, December 02, 2005

The Final Week Of SCSM05

This is the final week. D-Day is this Sunday, where I will be running my first ever 'Virgin' Marathon. a full 42.2km. Today is the second last run, a short tapering run just to keep the engines warm. We are supposed to be cutting down on mileage, and reserving all for the big race this Sunday. I took the oppotunity to try out carring powergels by pinning to my shorts, which I have never done before. After a few adjustments, and postioning, I found a sweet spot. I also tried a new lacing method, which is supposed to prevent my toes from hitting the shoe front when I run forward.

The skies looked rainy. But what the heck; it was going to be a short run anyway...8km from SAFRA MF to Labrador Park loop course. The group was smaller, as many might be doing their own tapering and training. We started at 7pm and there was no rain. I tried to run a tempo pace. My nose was still a little blocked, and I found that it did impact on my breathing and this my form and energy levels. I finished the 8km in about 50min.

Thursday will be the final tapering short run of 9km from SAFRA MF to Harbourfront loop.

Went down on Thursday to collect the race pack for SCSM05. I was there promptly at 11am, and already saw Tiwazz, Yankee, DO, Ultraman, Penguin in the queue. Went ahead to join them and got coupons from Tiwazz for 2 goodie bags. Brokie and her two kids joined us shortly and we went into the expo hall and joined separate queues for the 10km, 21km and marathon. The queues were long, probably because it was the first morning of collection, and all eager beavers wanted to collect their race packs first. We queued for about an hour before getting our packs.


The very nice blue race vest that came with a shoe bag and bib 646

We met quite a few familiar faces, and just in front of my marathon queue were the Ghurkhas, a number of them going for the marathon this year. The race pack comprised of a race singlet, and the race booklet...hmm, very nice, the race singlet. I got my bib no. 646...hmm, not too auspicious a number, some might say, but what the heck, I'll just do my best with it. After collecting our packs, we moved around the expo hall visiting the various exhibits and collecting race brochures for HK Marathon, Serawak, Thailand Temple Run, and Phuket Marathon as well....wow, seemed like there are a lot of nice marathons for 2006. Must start planning for them right after SCSM. Some more people came...Bug, Carine, and some SAFRA runners too. Said hello to some of them, and once all SgRunners in our group were done, we proceeded to have a nice lunch at Sizzler's. As usual, we had a swell time discussing about the forum and shoutbox, as well as preparations for the support table for the run.

In the evening, I had my final tapering run of 8km from SAFRA MF to Harbourfront loop. Bug came to join me, and this evening, the group was rather small, maybe about 10 of us. Jaime did come in the end, but she didn't run as she was feeling tired. Ong led the run as usual, and we did quite a fast tempo, since it was pretty short. Most of the way, Ong, myself, TLH, Bug, and the Tiong Bahru runner were running in the front pack. I did not put on my watch. I had a salt tablet just before to test out its efficacy and if there were undesirable effects. I also cliiped a powergel on for good measure. All turned out well, and I guess they will be with me on race day. I finished the run in about 46min. I will now rest and look forward to an injury-free marathon this Sunday, Dec 4.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best for the marathon. See you at the finishing line

 

Post a Comment

<< Home