Saturday, December 23, 2006

My maiden sports massage

With all these 'tight-ness' in my legs and body, I finally made time to go for my first sports massage to hopefully release the tightness. Went down to Ponggol area and was pleasantly surprised to see nice huge parking lots in the area. After spending a little bit of time locating the unit amongst the myriad of 'private apratment' looking blocks, finally found the 'therapist'.

As it was my first, I just conveyed that I have tight hamstrings, which were pulling on my knees and butt. After I laid on the massage table, she went to work. First on the whole of the left leg, the hamstrings, the ITB, the calves, the archilles areas. She mentioned there were lots of knots, and that my left hamstring was tighter because of the weakness in the leg. It was 'painful' but when the 'knots' were released, it was shiokz. Then the right leg got the same treatment. She mentioned the right leg was stronger, and the hamstrings not too tight. However, the quads were weaker on the right leg vis-a-vis the hamstrings, and it was just the opposite for the left leg. It was pretty painful when the calves were kneaded, but it was for a good cause. I didn't mind it at all :).

Then it was up the shoulders and upper body. This part felt quite good as I was having shoulder strains due to my poor posture. She mentioned that my shoulders were spreading out, and that causes weakness...and that I should pull them together consciously. Then the neck, head and in about 3hhours, it was completed....wow, I didn't realized it took that long...haha. Probably it was the first time, and there were much too do. As I was in a rush, I didn't have time to learn the butt and hamstring stretches that she was supposed to show me. I was advised to strengthen my butt, and use more of the 'big' muscle groups when running....also something about firing up the 'small muscle groups' first, before activating the larger muscle groups. Wow, lots of things to learn, lots of stuff to put into practise....very educational, very good.

I have had many traditional massages of different kinds in different countries, but this is the first time ever I have done a sports massage. I would say I actually liked it...hmm, maybe I am masochistic...hehe. I like the 'hard' presses and the releases of the 'knots' that come with it...can actually feel the blood flow better once the knots are kneaded off.... I will monitor over the following few weeks to see if the legs get loose, and if the 'pulls' are still there. There are some tender-ness in the massaged areas, especially the calves the following day. The legs are a lot loose, and I don't feel the 'numbing' sensation in my butt and thigh area so much...it got much better....hmm, hope this will really work for me, though I will have to do some homework in stretching, building up core muscles, and returning for maintenance massages.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

3 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger kops21 said...

how much is the damage? I also want if prove effiective...:)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

Kops, small damage and good value.. will let you know the progress and effectiveness when we meet next..:)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can I have the address? Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home