Monday, April 04, 2005

Easy 10km Recovery In Cool Weather

The rains continued unabated the whole of today. I was just wondering why it was so rainy this period, when someonementioned it was due to 'Ching Ming'...I went like 'Huh?'.

Anyways, the rain stopped at about 5pm. My significant other running partner wanted to sweat it out, as she had not run for almost 10 days now. I obliged, taking the run as a slow, recovery run as well as a chance to train my form.

We started off at 7pm, before dinner. I just slapped on my normal stop-watch (no HRM today), and off we went. Beverly started to complain of leg pains after 500m into the run. I started to guide Beverly to use the Chi Running style to see if her condition improved. After a while, she got the hang of it. Not only did her pain go away, she was running very well and at a higher pace hence. I reminded her not to over-stride, have a slight lean, focus on her abdominal muscles, lifting her legs and pushing back. She got the hang of it, and soon was running very smoothly.

After 8km, I checked the time, and was surprised we were ahead by at least 5min of normal time. Then I realized that we missed out the earlier 500m loop we always did to make up 10km. Upon hearing that, Beverly's morale went down a bit. She did manage to pick herself up, focus on maintaining the Chi Running form, and hit home in 1hr5min. A personal best for her on this route, improving by at least 1.5min. It could have been the cool weather, plus a combination of a new running style.

As for me, I had a very relaxed recovery run, which I try to do once a week. It still burnt the same amount of calories, and I still had a good cardio workout.

Distance Ran:10km_____Time:1hr5min7s_____Pace:6:31min/km
Average HR:NR_______Max HR:NR_______KCal:650 est.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home