Sunday, April 03, 2005

My New 5Km PB @ MR25 5km Time Trial

I was looking forward to today’s 5km time trial. I take this 5km run as a chance to clock my short distance timing, and also my maximum heart rates and feel during very short, intense runs.

It started to rain heavily at 2pm, and I was thinking of giving it a miss. Then the rains stopped at 4pm. I activated my kids and dog, and we packed ourselves quickly, and arrived at MacRitchie zig-zag bridge at 4.35pm. I went to do a quick registration, got my bib number, put on my HRM and did some light warm-up. Soon I worked up a slight perspiration. My wife, kids and dog went on their own for a stroll around the reservoir. There was a big crowd of runners today, about 60, and the Nike dealer was in full force to let some of the runners try the latest Nike models for their x-country 5km run. A lot of the new models looked good. I didn’t have time to try, and instead trusted on my cushioned, Nike Air Storm Moto Trail Runner. I always wear this pair at MacRitchie because of the x-country terrain.



At 5pm sharp, a short brief by the starter, and off we went. I started off quite slowly. About 1km into the run, I bumped into my kids around the bridge, and they expressed that I was one of the last runners in the group. One must understand that most of these MR25 runners are very fast runners, and run their 5km sub-20min. I picked up the speed a little after that, and overtook about 5 front-runners. I hit the first open in 5min+, very good timing. I went on to the second opening in 8min flat. The grounds were soggy and muddy, and I had to take extra care not to get stuck in mud, as well as not to get injured. I was hopping and running around water puddles a lot. I reached the 3.5km mark (golf course) in 10min+, pretty fast, and on track. Then ran up the slopes toward Lornie Road, and on the way down, overtook 3 more familiar faces.

At this point, the timing was 12.30min and the pulse was 167bpm. That is 91% of my Max Heart Rate...Whooh. I was feeling good and strong (since I took lunch, and a banana 1hr just before the run). I blasted ahead, and overtook 2 familiar lady runners. I moved on and with 2km to go, I ran past 2 other earlier front runners on the 2 steep slopes. They were showing signs of fatigue for pushing too hard earlier. As I run past them, I could hear very heavy breathing. I then took a few deep breaths, and headed for the finish. I could see an ang moh in front, and I just trailed him all the way. I stopped my watch some while after I hit the finish line, to loud cheers. I looked strong, and felt good. I moved around a bit, and shortly, heard someone calling me. It was Hock Soon, one of the SAFRA runners who had intended to join in the run, but he came a bit late. He remarked that the runners were very fast, and I did not too bad. I explained the system of how we were grouped into animals, and he was surprised to learn that my time of 23min6sec only put me as a ‘tortoise’. I told him my next goal will be to run this course in time trial under 23min, and that would at least make me a ‘deer’. Anyway, I was very satisfied with this run today. As I reflected on the good timing, I guess it might have to do with my lighter weight, the cooling weather, and my new style of Chi Running.

Distance Ran:5km XC___Time:23m6s____Pace:4:38min/km
Average HR:167bpm___Max HR:172bpm___KCal:372KCal

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home