Sunday, May 01, 2005

May Day 20km Progressive Run with MR25

I was down with flu the past few days, and my last run was done with SAFRA on Thursday night. Up to this morning, I wasn't sure if I should push myself to go for the 20km Progressive run organized by the MR25 Running Club. I slept easrlier last night, and hopped out of bed when the alram rang at 6am this morning. I sensed my body, and felt OK, just my nose was blocked.

I had a quick change, had a pice of banana cake, downed with coffee; and away I went. I reached MacRitchie at 6.50am, and realized I was very late. I told myself that if I couldn't find the SAFRA Runners, I will join the MR25 run. I brought my fuel belt. If I joined the MR25 run, then I don't need the fuel belt as water points should be provided. I parked, and looked for the usual places. All I could see were a lot of MR runners already gathering at the Start Line. As a natural instinct, I walked close, and found myself signing up and getting a bib. I just managed to have some time to put on my HRM body belt, tightened my shoes, before I heard Adam Wong from SAFRA Runners called me. I went over, and he mentioned that there were only a small group of SAFRA Runners today. I encouraged him to join me for the Progressive Run, but I guess he was shy, and there weren't enough time for new registrations.

I went to the toilet for a quickie. As with all MR25 runs, it started promptly at 7am. I ran behind the bunch, and was blocked initially for a good 200m. I wasn't sure what the route today was, but figured that there will be marshals along the way, and I just needed to keep eye contact with some of the runners at my speed. The first 5km was through the usual reverse Northern Route (X-County Terrain), and when I checked my watch upon coming out of it into the SICC Golf Course main roda, I was surprised to see a reading of 19+min. That meant we were running quite fast (by my standards). I then moved up the series of upslopes along the main road, bypassing a few runners along the way. This is the part where I finally got to the middle of the pack, and found a person to pace. I followed this pacing runner for a good 10km. We ran through the usual fringe by the Golf Course, into the scenic road (with a series of slopes again). Upon crossing a bridge, I saw a photographer (got to be Teck Heng, the resident photographer of MR25). I put up a good front, waved my hands, and he took a good shot. he told me to look for him when I finished the run. I moved along and followed that same front runner (with a cap).


Across the Bridge

We moved along the series of slopes, and then turned left into road (entrance with a dropdown barricade). I have been on this road once before with the SAFRA Runners. Anyway, I continued along, and started to see the front runners running back already. Sukaimi, The Lonely Runner, was one of them. I said hello, and he gestured. I guessed he might be too focused to speak.



Upon reaching the end of the road where there was some kind of Power Station, we turned back. At this point, I could see the runner in front of me I was following, and realized that it was Lai Chee (a very good female runner). I asked here whether that was the mid point, and she mentioned that we have to turn another road. I then saw some familiar faces coming up, runners like David and Aik Hock. I asked David for the mid point, and he mentioned we would have to turn left when we reached the end. I followed Lai Chee from behind, and we turned left up towards the end of the major road. I know that would have led us to the main gate that leads to Pierce Resservoir on the right, and Old Upper Thomson Road on the left. There was another water point here. I stopped to have 2 cups of cold water, rested for like 2min, and proceeded on back. I checked the time and it was about 52min+.

On the way back, we ran the same road, but this time, the sun was up fiercely. It was really getting to me, and my breathing was really strained with my blocked nose. The sun made me feel even worse. I was feeling the heat of the dry spell too. I continued up and down the slopes, and my legs were getting really tired. On the reverse of the large bridge, I was really feeling it. Out from the golf course fringe, I saw Teck Heng again. This time I posed with a thumbs up. He confirmed with me that there were a couple more runners behind me.


On the return, along the golf course

After this portion, I ran to the SICC main road, and upon looking up the series of steep slopes (where we earlier came from), I nearly wanted to quit there and then. This is where Lai Chee went way ahead, and I was reduced to crawling pace. I braved the slopes, and chugged slowly upwards. I finally completed it, and was glad to see a water point at the turn. I gulped down 2 large cups of water, and took an even longer rest of 3min.

I recognized this to be the other part of the Northern Route, Though this part is less hilly compared with the earlier part, I know this leads to Sime Track, as well as the open Glof Course area (very sunny). I followed another person along the whole of Sime Track, and onto the wooden bridge at Jelutong Tower. At this point, quite a number of runners overtook me, but they were not those in the run. They sounded chirpy, feeling good about overtaking us. I chugged along, and when I saw the open space after the wooden bridge, again my mind was telling me to stop and walk. I told myself I had to finish the run, and get a firm timing, no mater what. DNF will not be part of my run. I really slowed down to snail's pace, and in what seemed like eternity, I finally reached the X-Country portion. This is the part where all the deep roots of the trees feature, and it was here that I stopped and started to walk. I walked for most part up the slopes, and it was at this point, I saw many of the front runners in the progressive run, walking and they actually have removed their bibs. I really wanted to join them, but again, I persisted. I started to run a little, after conquering all those roots. Cramps were hitting my stomach big time, and I really had to slow down. I continued very slowly, and stopoped to walk 2 more times.


At the finish, looking quite OK

This was the first time in my many runs, that I had to stop and walk. I don't like to practise gallo-walking, but I guess today I was really feeling very sick. I was using only my mouth to breathe, and my heart rate was hovering in the low 160s, but my pace was more matching a heart rate of 140s. With 1km to go, I was overtaken by someone with long, golden hair. I saw this guy earlier, and he was behind me for at least 300m. I knew he was an experienced MR25 runner, and was not surprised that he maintained a very consistent pace to overtake me. I looked at my watch, and it was nearing 2hrs. I told myself I had to do it sub-2hrs, way back with 5km to go. I factored in all those walking as well. I chased this golden-haired guy, and finally reached the end point (same as where we started, bridge near the toilets) in 1hr58min. I wasn't sure whether anyone was still timing. I later realized they too recorded my timing at 1hr58min. I drank like 5cups of 100plus mixed with water, before my thirst was quenched. I felt very weak and wobbly, and didn't really felt like talking...so Sukaimi and the rest, in case you though what happened, and you are reading this, I was really drained.

I rested for 30min, and decided not to wait for the SAFRA Running kakis for breakfast (I didn't see them along the race, and when I got back too).

Overall, I was happy to have joined in this MR25 Progressive Run. It was my first, and I have never joined in their Progressive Runs. I look forward to the next one of 25km, and I hope to be better prepared for the next one. Cheers!

Distance Ran:20km___Time:1hr58min___Pace:5:55min/km
Average HR:164bpm____Max HR:175bpm____KCal:1650

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home