Sunday, May 08, 2005

The SAFRA 10km Time Trial

This sunday morning at Yishun was the 10km time trial of the SAFRA Running Club, used in the pre-selection for their core running team (or elites). I was informed of this run about a week ago, and orginally did not plan to come, since I was way out of the qualifying time of sub 45min for 10km. My best timing for 10km was about 48min, and that was an unofficial recording of the 10km route around my house. However, Chairman Thiam Huat encouraged us to participate for the sheer experience, as well as try out the scenic Yishun route (along Seletar Reservoir).

I was jolted out of my sleep by my wife at 5.50am. I wanted to go a bit early for this 7am run, since I was not too familiar with the reporting place, Yishun Stadium. I had a piece of banana cake, a cup of coffee, put on my SAFRA Club yellow running gear, and off I went. I arrived at Yishun Stadium at 6.30am. A few people were coming in at this time, and I saw Derek arrive too. Met up with Adam, Teen, Thiam Huat, Wong a while later, and we were the minority from SAFRA Mt Faber. The rest, about 60 of them were from Toa Payoh. Their trainer was there too, and his SAFRA black dri-fit T-Shirt caught my eye. I later ordered some through Shirlyn, a Toa Payoh commitee member.



The run began at about 7.15am from the main road across the Yishun Stadium. We were given a brief of the route, which essentially runs all the way towards Orchid Country Club (OCC), past OCC to a scenic bridge flanked by a dam on one side, and the reservoir on the other. We will then do a right at the end, into a smaller road, and will hit the mid-point (5km) at the end of that small road. Then it was all the way back. I started off slowly and steadily, and immediately looked for some pacers.


A firm start

I was passed by about 5 runners who were running at a fast pace. I followed closely behind Supraman, Donald and a certain Eric (his name was printed on his running vest, and I thought his pace will be good for a 48min). I also remembered Donald mentioning to me his 10km timing nowadays were about 45min. As I was feeling quite comfortable, I continued to follow them on this pace. The rain had stopped but the ground was still a little slippery. I had on my new ASICS DS Trainer, and it was light.


Keeping Up The Pace

After about 3km, I overtook Supraman, and continued to run alongside Eric and another young guy. We entered the scenic bridge area, and at the turn to the small road, my timing was 20min. I was feeling OK. My heart rate of 168-172 was very steady, and it showed that I ran a very constant, hard pace. Into the small road, and nearing the mid-point, I saw the first few runners on the return. I clapped for them. Derek and Wong went past me, and I was not too far behind them. I felt good, since they were the faster runners I know - meaning I am still not too far away. I took a cup of isotonic drink at the mid point, and chekced that it was 23min. I felt good, and started increasing the pace. It was at this point that I overtook a few people, some of whom had overtaken me in the early part of the race.

As I was running out to the end of the small road, I began to see Adam, Eng Hwa, Thiam Huat and Teen coming in. I waved to them, and all were looking good. Once I hit the bridge area, I was running all the way with Eric. I was mostly running just behind him, and when I overtook him, he would always make it a point to come back in front. We ding-donged for about 3km, and then Eric upped the pace, drawing me closer to the rest of the pack at the front. We were just behind Donald. I felt good, but didn't want to push, since I was not too sure of how far more to go. I knew it must be quite near, but I was still cautious. A quick glance at my watch showed 40min. Then heavy rain came and soaked us for a bit, including the shoes. The winds were also gusty, and all these played a part in slowing us down.


A Reasonably Strong Finish

I suddenly could see more of the runners in front, and a lot were checking their watches for a last time, and then speeding up. I too upped the pace, and made a dash for the finish, when I finally saw the line about 300m away. I finished in 45min+ according to my HRM, making this a PB for me at 10km distance. I was happy with the run, despite the rainy weather. I had a banana to replenish. When all the runners finally came back, we washed up at Yishun Stadium, and a few of us went to have breakfast at the Prata Place (along Upper Thomson Road, near Ampang Yong Tau Hoo). We discussed the upcoming Location Run at Mt. Faber, as well as the Ipoh 21km. It was great food, and Wong was very kind to pay for this round of food. I certainly had a great time.

Distance Ran:10km___Time:45min40s___Pace:4:34min/km
Average HR:168bpm____Max HR:172bpm____KCal:710

Related Posts with Thumbnails

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home